Last night, Terry talked about living in Conviction versus living in Compliance.
It made me think about grace, living under the law and "church people" The basic idea is that when you live in compliance, you're doing the right thing because someone told you to. An example is going to church because your parents make you. When you live in conviction, you live to please God. You go to church because you want to please God with your worship...
which brings up the question of if you need church at all... but that's a different topic for a different day
Motives are important. Why do we do what we do? Is it simply enough to do the right thing or should you do the right thing for the right reason? And are you doing the right thing for the right reason because it is something someone said you should do or because you want to bring glory to God in the process?
This is getting to the mindbending point.
I struggle with this. Growing up as a "good Christian girl" I knew the right answers and the right motive... but I can so easily think I'm doing the right thing for the right reason... but just under the surface there are more motives... that usually are more sinister. Like I go to church because it ... is commanded by Jesus (conviction), because I can fellowship with other believers (fun), because the students make me laugh (selfish?), because I love being in Jesus' presence (but can't I do that just about anywhere?), to check out the guys and see if Mr Right is around (stupid)...
and all this begs the question, why should I do the right thing?
And does it count if I do the right thing for the right reasons... but I don't want to? is it just me or does that sound like works-based righteousness?
Love God and Love others.... the end. At least it is simple to understand, if impossible to do.
1 comment:
I could come up with a million reasons why I attend church, only once in a blue moon is it for a noble reason. A good dose of honesty in your post.
Post a Comment