Monday, November 13, 2006

A tall order for Prince Charming...

Single feather-brained female with a susceptability for mishaps seeking ultra-patient male who doesn't mind the occasional pickle.

I'm convinced that the universe is teaching me humility these last 24 hours.

Tonight, I had a complete, total, full-blown, absolute failure in cooking. It wouldn't be so bad if I had been cooking something with an exotic name like quiche or creme brule... but no. I burned my... (drumroll please) Rice Krispy bars. It's butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispies. How hard, right? Wrong. Burned. Sticky. Smelly. Sticky. Burned. Did I mention Sticky? I hate sticky.

As if that weren't enough...

For the last 10 days, I babysat/housesat for an 8th grader and a 12th grader while their parents were out of town. Everything went just fine...until last night. I woke up the entire neighborhood because I couldn't get the car alarm off. Yes, you read that right. Couldn't. get. the car alarm to. turn. off. I was picking up the mom at the airport. I opened the door, horn starts honking, lights start flashing. Being the genius I am, I got in the car, put the key in the ignition, turn it, and... yet, the horn continues, the lights are still shining in the house... intermittently, of course. Several minutes later, it stops. ~phew~ In an attempt to release myself from this demon posessed car, I use the handle to escape the car... and the lights flash, the horn honks... My prayer: Oh, dear God, please make it stop!. Of course, that would be tooo easy. No, the daughter of the house freaks out and calls the police. As she's calling, I step out of the car and she tells them it isn't necessary to save her from the idiot who announced to the neighborhood that they are taking her car. In a last-ditch attempt to stop the madness, I again place the key in the ignition and since the honking and flashing didn't stop, I sat and enjoyed National Public Radio at a very high volume... until the alarm stops ~relief~ As I sat there considering all things, the kindly pastor who is also the neighbor... and in his pajamas, no less... comes over to try to help. I warned him not to touch the door... but noooo. Flashing lights and honking horns once again interrupt an idyllic night with large snoflakes softly falling. I called the mom in my panic. She doesn't know which key is the right one to make the car alarm stop, her phone dies, and I'm late to pick her up. I don't really know her spiritual foundation, but I'm pretty sure that my "oh, praise Jesus" when I finally got the car to start wasn't what she expected.

Please pray for my (future) husband.

Is there any hope for me whatsoever???

Have I ever mentioned my deep aversion to all alarms?

3 comments:

Nichole said...

Oh Manda! I have to say, I love your humor. And I don't think you're all that feather-brained. But, I do enjoy hearing your stories. Thank you for sharing life's little mishaps. And don't worry, I'm praying for your future husband...but you already knew that ;o) Love, me

The Bearded said...

That was HILARIOUS!

Manda said...

thanks. you're both good for my ego. i think.