Saturday, July 5, 2008

yay! an update

It has been forever since I posted...what am I up to?

Well, I got a new job, for starters. That is very exciting. I've been looking for 5 years and think I'll be staying for a little while. I don't want to get overly excited or too hard nosed, but I could stay for 5 years, I think.

What am i doing? I'm helping people who have some sort of mental illness build the supports in their lives so that they can improve their mental health which will build the success in thier life and so forth and so forth. I bring individuals to the resources they could access to improve thier life: atherapist, a job counselor, a parenting class, a new place to live... I like that I am clothing the naked and feeding the hungry... and getting paid for it.

How did I get the job? Well that's a cool story. Pastor Dave was the interim at my church until about 2 years ago. He knew my parents and i was sort of a package deal. One day, he stopped in my title insurance office and asked me what I was doing and I confessed that I was terribly underemployed and looking for work. A few weeks later, he told my parents that his office was hiring and that i should get my application in immediately. I called for the info, turned in the resume tuesday, spoke to my boss Wed for an interivew Thursday. I went upstairs (my old job is on 1st and 2nd floors, now I'm on 3rd) and he offered me the position before I realized what he was doing or what i was going to be doing! There are certainly drawbacks, but that's with every job. It will be itneresting to see what happens with our reimbursement for gas(.39) considering the Feds just upped their reimbursement (.58)... but that's 'cuz the company is cheap. So that's my story!

I'm very thankful and looking forward to meeting more interesting people. Among the more interesting things I've said:
"what does {your hamster} think about this?"

My next big decision comes in trying to buy a house! It seems so grown up. but I think I'm ready :)

No comments: